Topic of the Week
Leading in Challenging Times
Leadership is always difficult; and this economy can make it seem downright impossible. But leadership is far from impossible--we just need new strategies to adapt.
Blog of the Week
"A week later I got my Medicaid card in the mail, and now I have healthcare again."
Elizabeth Aviles works as a Certified Nursing Assistant in Waterbury, Conn. Since Aviles works only 22 hours a week, she is not able to purchase health insurance, which is especially troublesome since she has some serious medical issues that require immediate attention.
Thought for the Week
"So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work."
List of the Week
from John Templeton Foundation
Keeping Thanksgiving Going: Surprising Stats About Gratitude
- 50% say that they're likely to thank salespeople, mail carriers, cleaning crews, etc.
- 15% actually show daily gratitude to friends or colleagues
- 74% never or rarely express gratitude to their boss
- 70% said they'd feel better if their boss was more grateful
Top Five News Headlines
- On the Job: New generation is arriving in the workplace
- Walmart Offers To Rehire Worker Fired For Stopping Attack
- NLRB Reopens on October 17, 2013 - Effect of Government Shutdown on Filing Deadlines
- Here's your unemployment check. Now pay it back
- Supreme Court Takes a 'DIG' at Age Discrimination